A More Detailed History
Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home is an organization that enjoys a rich legacy of excellence and commitment to caring for our residents and their families. Located in the historic Mount Pleasant section of the District of Columbia, the Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home is a 164-bed facility offering state-of-the-art, compassionate and high-quality nursing and medical care. With more than 200 dedicated staff, Stoddard is owned and solely managed by the Stoddard Baptist Home Foundation Board of Directors, under the current leadership of Mr. Willie Bowman, Jr. until his death in February 2010. Prior to Mr. Bowman, Mr. John D. Hunter and General Joseph F. H. Cutrona invested their creativity and their strength for more than twenty-five years.
History in Brief
Stoddard Baptist Home Foundation, Inc.
Who is the Stoddard Baptist Home? The Stoddard of today began as a dream for a retirement home for Baptist ministers, their wives and/or their widows. The initial funds came to Stoddard through the heirs of Miss Marie T. Stoddard, a widely known Washington philanthropist of the late nineteenth century. The residents of the first structure were eight elderly persons who entered a location at Hamilton Street and Good Hope Hill in Southeast, Washington. This early period of operation was called "Stoddard Baptist" and was known as the "Southeast" phase of the facility which we know today.
Since 1902, until this final phase of the twentieth century, Stoddard has always been led by men and women of vision who have constantly increased the effort to serve the wider community. After the "Southeast" phase, the Board of Trustees acquired a property at 324 Bryant Street in Northwest, Washington which became known as the "Willard Estate." The leaders of the facility at the time were the Reverend W. D. Jarvis, the Reverend Acquila Sayles, Mrs. Minnie Robinson and Mrs. Susie P. Robb.
The History of the Stoddard Baptist Home Foundation, Inc.
For Stoddard Baptist Home, the decade of the nineties has brought spectacular realization for the dreamers, pioneers and builders who have long labored in the development of a home for the elderly in the Washington, D.C. area. Today, Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home is designed, built and maintained as a facility for nursing and medical services and residential care for the elderly. It has resources for caregivers and interested parties, as well as recreational and cultural activities that can be accessed through the wider community. The Stoddard of the twenty-first century began as an idea for a retirement home for Baptist ministers, their wives and widows. The initial funds came from the settlement of a suit brought by the heirs of Miss Marie T. Stoddard, a widely known local philanthropist of the late nineteenth century. About 1890, Miss Stoddard, by the terms in her will, had donated a tract of land in the area of Florida Avenue and Nineteenth Street, Northwest, for the erection of the retirement home.
Reverend George W. Lee, President
In 1914, the Stoddard Baptist Home was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia.
Northwest Presence (Bryant Street)
As the needs for shelter and care for the aging increased in the city, the trustees of Stoddard, under the leadership of Reverend John L. S. Holloman, began to realize the limitation of the Bryant Street location, but the precipitating factor in the move from Bryant Street was the desired use of that location by the District of Columbia to build the Katie C. Lewis Elementary School. So began the Newton Street era. Led by Dr. Holloman, the Board of Trustees purchased the property at 1818 Newton Street, N.W. for a cost of $250,000.00 and retired the mortgage within six years. It was during Dr. Holloman's presidency that the Endowment Fund was established and at the time of his death the Fund was valued at $125,000. At the Newton Street location the Home accommodated sixty residents. It was operated by a professional social worker, as well as, clerical and maintenance staff under the administration of an Executive Director.
Among those individuals who have pioneered for Stoddard and have yearned for its success have been those leaders already named. But in these latter days, mention must be made of Reverend R. L. Patterson, Reverend Raymond R. Robinson, Reverend John D. Bussey, Reverend Leamon W. White and Mr. Willie Bowman, Jr. who have been presidents (and newly titled chairman) of the Board of Trustees. Mrs. Shelly M. Jackson, Mr. Leon Ferguson, and Dr. Eula Delaine have been executive directors of the Home. The longtime secretaries of the board were the late Mrs. Alma C. Hawkins and Mrs. Lucy M. Gadsden.
Today, as Stoddard moves into its expanding role of services to the Washington Community, the Board is being led by Mr. Binkley J. Garrison, who serves as the Chairman of the Board. Under Mr. Bowman's leadership (until his passing in February 2010), the Stoddard Board of Directors and Stoddard's operation has progressed to its present status. The late Mr. Hunter spearheaded the development of the current 164-bed nursing and medical care facility, leading the board through planning, zoning, relocation, construction and start-up phases of the Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home. He was instrumental in providing the technical assistance needed to obtain the Housing and Urban Development mortgage, as well as, recruiting the management company to operate the facility. Under Mr. Hunter's influence, knowledge and foresight, after twelve years of operation, Stoddard Baptist Nursing Home is self-managed -- making it one of the premiere long-term care facilities owned and solely operated by African Americans. Serving with Mr. Hunter has been Brigadier General Joseph F. H. Cutrona (Ret.), an able and compassionate Catholic layman, who has served as Vice President of the Board for more than twenty years.
Presidential Care is committed to fulfill the vision of creating an "intergenerational campus" by linking services for older adults, children and the elderly together in a loving, caring and interactive environment. This project is a multi-million dollar venture and will be developed in phases -- beginning with the expansion of the assisted living continuum. The expected timeframe of development is 2011 - 2013.
Seeing the need to serve a larger number than in the past, Stoddard responded to the request for proposal to: lease-to-operate the Washington Center for Aging Services located at 2601 18th Street, N.E. Its voluntary board decided to apply for the opportunity to expand its services in Ward 5. In order to undertake this endeavor, a new not-for-profit company was established named Stoddard Baptist Global Care, which was awarded the lease-to-operate the WCAS and undertook the service on July 21, 2010.
Overall, all board members represent Washington Metropolitan area Baptist ministers, retirees, professionals, community advocates and constituents, all committed to the philosophy of improving the quality of life for older adults. Mr. Steve Nash serves as the President and CEO.
... "Twas Grace than brought us safe thus far...